Who we are
The Mackay Women's Centre is an incorporated, non-government, community-based organisation, managed by a local committee who are elected annually. The Mackay Women's Centre provides a range of free counselling and support services for women in the city of Mackay and surrounding region.
What the service provides
- Crisis responses, general support, information, referral and short-term counselling to women in a safe and confidential environment.
- A safe and professional venue for workshops and activities that promote the Centre's desired outcomes of Well Women, Safe Women, Smart Women and Creative Women.
- Support for young women to assist with their parenting and pregnancy issues.
- Pre and post abortion and pregnancy options counselling.
- Transport for women with pregnancy and baby issues (interagency support only – i.e. hospital, crisis response agencies, child protection, legal and advocacy services).
- Pregnancy testing and counselling on result.
- Emergency relief – children's clothing up to size 3, baby items and food vouchers (when funding is available).
- Assistance to establish, facilitate and accommodate support groups for women.
- Written material, information and resources for professionals, community services workers, students and women in the community in relation to pregnancy, parenting, family relationship issues, health and wellbeing.
- Identification of and assistance to address barriers to women's access to adequate and appropriate healthcare.
- Identification of and assistance to address, policy and procedural barriers to women and children's access to safety.
- Appropriate referrals when facing domestic, family and/or sexual violence concerns.
- Advocacy for women, when necessary, to achieve positive outcomes.